Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My new pet

I still consider myself a newbie at this whole blogging thing.  I've noticed that a lot of my posts can get pretty long.  I always write about a whole trip in one post because I'm SO excited to share EVERYTHING!  From now on, I'll try to break it up so you're not overwhelmed with how awesome my life is.  I also have a feeling that everything I write about may not excite you as much as it excites me... like my new pet, but I'm going to write about it anyway.

Bieber, my new pet.

In the photo above is my new "pet"!!!  It's actually a plant called marimo (the green ball).  Imagine about 15 of these containers lined up with all different colored pebbles at the bottom.  Needless to say, the display did it's job.  I had to buy it.

I love how in Asian culture EVERYTHING has a meaning.  They seem to come from the strangest things, but it's awesome.  This little ball of seaweed "has become a symbol of determination in overcoming adversities in search of true love and happiness.  Under tender care and attention, Marimo will grow and flourish as well as make their owners' wishes come true."  It is a considered a Special Japanese Natural Treasure that also signifies longevity and long life.  Many people in Japan keep it as a pet!  It will continue to grow with light and clean water.  Right now it's a little over 1cm in diameter, but it only grows about 1mm/year.

I thought it appropriate to name it Bieber considering I got it on Justin Bieber's 17th birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Did you get this in Singapore? It's kitschy and cute! Am keen to get my hands on this too :)

    By the way, welcome to Singapore! Am glad that you are starting to find this country a delight. Likewise, as small as my country might be, I think that there're lots to explore although most locals find it a boring place lol.

    ReplyDelete