Monday, February 28, 2011

Phuket, Thailand

Back from another unforgettable weekend!  We headed to Phuket, Thailand this time for Tim's birthday.  I have to say that this has been my favorite place so far that I've visited, but it's hard to compare because everywhere has been so different!  If I had to sum it up I would say Phuket was amazing beaches with perfect weather, endless bargaining markets, fantastic night life... and ladyboys! (ew..)

Terry and I headed there on Friday evening after our classes.  Friday class is such a buzz kill, but I know I shouldn't skip!  I flew on my first "budget" airline and it was actually pretty nice.  The terminal was kind of a joke though.




Me and my Thai Baht.




We arrived at our hostel in Patong Beach and headed to Thai place for some good food!  I ordered chicken green curry, which was absolutely amazing (I got it again the next night).  However, it seemed that all the pad thai we ordered was really bad everywhere.




คุณขอบคุณ << crazy language.  This means Thank you.  It's pronounced kapunka.


After dinner we were ready to experience the famous Phuket nightlife!  We hung out in our hostel and drank with some new friends we met.  I really liked the hostel and everyone was very nice.  You meet the most interesting people staying in hostels.  It's so much fun!  We eventually stumbled into town and I don't remember much after that... ;)  just kidding, Dad.  I didn't get too drunk!  But it is legal here.  It was a good night.



Hanging out at our hostel.









Ladyboys...



Cass and I were trying to take a picture with a ladyboy, but Alex blocked her.. him?











The next day, after recovering from the night with a lot of sleep, we hit the beach!  There are tons of beaches in Phuket, but we went to Surin Beach.  We heard it was the nicest one in the area and we were not disappointed.  The water was amazingly blue and the sand was so soft and white.  We got to the beach by a "tuk tuk".  It was about 20 min and we fit 10 of us into one!!!  It wasn't the most comfortable thing, but we got a great price and it was worth it for the beach!


Some of us in the tuk tuk!


The day consisted mostly of just playing in the water and laying under my umbrella.  I tried to stay out of the sun almost the whole time.  I plan on getting tan, but I still have a little over 3 months so I'm trying to pace myself!

LOTS OF BEACH PICTURES!!!  It was just so pretty.












The girls: Cass, Me, Kira, Julie







Our group: Kira, Julie, Cass, Alex, Terry, Me, Tim.









On the way back from the beach we saw elephant rides on the street!


Later that night we did some crazy bargain shopping!  I was having a blast haggling.  It's hard because you really can't get emotional with the situation, it's needs to be strictly business.  You can't think about the fact that you buying this t-shirt for $3 USD could be dinner for them and then you're haggling over 20 cents (it's all in baht of course so it seems like a lot more with their currency).  They all say "My friend!  My friend!  Give me good price!"  All the shop keepers were very nice and we always got the price we wanted :)  with the exception of one who was very very rude.  After he made some nasty comments and gave us some attitude, we decided not to buy anything from him.  As we were walking away he was swearing at us!  With all the competition in these markets, you think you'd be nice to your customers.


A typical stall.


I bought souvenirs for my friends, a dress, and two cute little wooden elephants!  They have their trunks up in the air, which is a symbol of good luck!  There are literally elephants everywhere and I couldn't be more happy about it.


Me and Cass.



Lots and lots of congestion in the streets.



Fresh seafood.





Julie and I also did a fish foot spa!  It tickled soooo much!!!!  We stuck our legs into a tank filled with these little tiny fish and right when I put my legs in they swarmed and were eating all my dead skin (kind of gross, but super cool).  It felt so strange.  They were quick little guys.  After awhile it just of felt like my legs were just numb.




I could hardly handle it, but I made it through.


 


We were able to contain ourselves or a split second to take a picture.


It was a very short trip and that pretty much sums it up.  We left early on Sunday morning to come back to Singapore :(  but I can't complain too much because the weather is still beautiful and I'm still having the time of my life.

I know I always tend to get a tad bit sentimental in all these blog posts, but I still can hardly believe that it's about halfway through the semester in February and I get to lay on the beaches of Thailand for a weekend.  All the while, back in Minnesota and Wisconsin it's almost reaching 20 degress F!  Woo!  I feel I've learned a lot so far through my experiences abroad.  Especially about the importance of relationships with family and friends, which I will never take for granted!  I'm also learning not only about different cultures throughout Southeast Asia, but cultures all over the world through the many different exchange students.  I love my diverse group of friends who I've been sharing all my experiences with that I've only just met, but it feels as if I've known them forever.  Weeks seem to be flying by especially with all the traveling and before I know it I'll be back home.  People used to tell me that going abroad was "life-changing" and "the best decision of their life", and now I think I understand.



Some photos courtesy of my friends Cass, Kira, and Alex.

1 comment:

  1. this is absolutely amazing seece! i cant believe u did that fish pedicure!!bahhhhh
    I love u and miss you and cannot wait to see u!!
    I wish u could be in italy with me right now..its amazingggg

    LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete